A RECIPE FROM ROBERT WILLIAMS
Recipe for Sour Chickpeas
¾ lb chickpeas
3 pints of water
300gms finely chopped onions
2 1/2 teaspoons of salt
1 tablespoon of grated ginger
4 tablespoons of lemon juice
6 tablespoons of veg oil
½ lb of finely chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon of ground coriander
1 tablespoon of ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon of ground turmeric
2 teaspoons of garam masala
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1. Soak chickpeas for 20 hours.
2. Boil and then simmer for 1 1/2 hours, strain and save cooking liquid for use as stock
3. Put 2 tablespoons of chopped onions, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, ginger and lemon juice and set aside.
4. Heat oil, put in remaining onion and fry for 5-6 mins.
5. Add tomatoes, put in coriander, cumin, turmeric and cook for 1 min.
6. Add chickpeas, 2 teaspoons of salt, garam masala and cayenne, mix and simmer.
7. Cover for 20 mins and cook gently.
8. Add mixture set aside from item 3.
Serve with rice and raita.
To read more and to subscribe for free, please click on: deancharltonmag.com